Wednesday, March 21, 2007

Lives of Others

Lives of Others:

Saw this movie at a fabulous movie theatre -- food is served by wait staff and tables are provided at your media chair -- comfy .
All these extras add to the movie experience.
About the movie--- a German film --I copied this below to set the "stage" for you:

FILM SYNOPSISIn East Berlin in 1984, the secret police organization, Stasi, conducts extensive surveillance operations against any East German citizen suspected of opposing the Communist regime. When Captain Gerd Weisler begins monitoring the daily life of the playwright Georg Dreyman, he finds himself increasingly unwilling to betray his subject's private moments to his superiors.

Movie is dark--- as in color which fits perfectly with the East Berlin setting and the dark motives . . . I happened to be at a conference when I ducked out for a few hours to see this movie. Interesting that the morning keynote speaker told a story from her past about how one person -- she never knew the persons name and never saw again-- made a huge impact --a life changing/life giving difference in her life --- Well , Lo' and behold !-- guess what one of the movie themes was ?
That exact message from my morning speaker ! Love it when that happens!

Even if subtitles bother you -- oh! get over it and bump up your taste -- foreign films jolt you -- inspire you -- have a air of art and meaning that you might miss if you say " I don't do
subtitles". It is 2007 -- join the 2000's!
Seeing the world form different eyes is a good thing. I promise .
This movie won Best Foreign Film this year --2007--and I see why. . .gripping story--- you feel for each main character--- and glimpse the evil that humans can possess,you can witness the character's motives --- b/c ,you, as the viewer are a voyeur just as are the Secret Police are --interesting twist. Caused me to wonder --- " What would I do in this situation ?"

I really am obsessed with WW2 and the cold war ----so I particularly found this movie to be profound.
Ask yourself:
What would you do ? From each character's point of view . Who am I ? Am I true to my beliefs?
Can one person make a difference? Can I? Can you?
Perhaps we in this country will or do face these questions . . .
Thought provoking movie -- my friend and I talked about the movie again and again after seeing it -- a movie that climbs into your soul.

No comments: